Yomiwa is an easy offline way to translate Japanese with your camera. The app displays a pop up with English translations and definitions of single kanjis and words as soon as you point to Japanese characters with your iPhone or iPad. You can as well take a picture or pick one from your camera roll and navigate it to translate chosen characters. Yomiwa also has a built-in drawing feature for you to draw and translate Japanese characters on your touch-screen, in order to learn and practice writing Japanese. Yomiwa also includes a built-in dictionary searchable in Japanese (text or drawing) or English (as well as French, German and Spanish).
– A complete built-in dictionary with full informations about words, kanjis (on-yomi, kun-yomi, meaning, stroke order etc.) and example sentences
– An Optical Character Recognition (OCR) algorithm which lets you translate Japanese characters with your camera or from your camera roll pictures
– Translate words made of all types of Japanese characters (Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana)
– A proper names database (such as people names, places, locations…)
– Japanese pronunciation of words in roman letters (romaji) or hiragana / katakana.
– Get the meaning of single or combinations of Kanjis
– Draw characters on the screen to translate them and practice writing Japanese
– Read either horizontal or vertical Japanese text
Yomiwa is perfect for:
– Use as a dictionary
– Read and understand Japanese text (newspaper, manga, books,…)
– Learn and study Japanese Kanjis (meaning, reading, drawing, writing)
– Translate Japanese words in everyday life situations
– Instant on-the-go translation when travelling in Japan
– Overcome the language barrier!
Important: All the freebies mentioned here are free at the time of publishing this article. It may, you see some price tag instead of “Free” when visiting the store which means the product is no longer available as “Free”. Not being free and you buy or download it, you may be charged with the price of the product. Please, also be aware that some apps may have in-app-purchases options.