Wireshark is the world’s foremost and widely-used network protocol analyzer. It lets you see what’s happening on your network at a microscopic level and is the de facto (and often de jure) standard across many commercial and non-profit enterprises, government agencies, and educational institutions. Wireshark development thrives thanks to the volunteer contributions of networking experts around the globe and is the continuation of a project started by Gerald Combs in 1998.
Using Wireshark as your network analyzing tool, this cookbook will provide you with practical recipes to solve network problems, such as disconnections, IP Telephony problems, slow network issues, and many more, using a step by step approach.
- Configure Wireshark for effective network troubleshooting
- Set up various display and capture filters
- Use basic statistical tools that provide you with “who is talking” tables, conversations, and HTTP statistics
- Master both the standard and advanced features of IO graphs
- Use the expert system to pinpoint various types of events that might influence the behavior of your network
- Learn about Wi-Fi testing and how to resolve problems related to wireless LANs
- Explore performance issues in TCP/IP
- Explore failures due to delays and jitters in the network
- Find and resolve problems due to bandwidth, throughput, and packet loss
- Identify and locate faults in communication applications including HTTP, FTP, mail, and various other applications – Microsoft OS problems, databases, voice, and video over IP
- Identify and locate faults in detecting security failures and security breaches in the network
Important: All the freebies mentioned here are free at the time of publishing this article. It may, you see some price tag instead of “Free” when visiting the store which means the product is no longer available as “Free”. Not being free and you buy or download it, you may be charged with the price of the product. Please, also be aware that some apps may have in-app-purchases options.