The best practice to keep data safe is to keep it encrypted with at least AES Encryption Standard which is being officially used by US government to keep its data secure. You can use TrueCrypt, which is open source as well as freeware, for data encryption. Believe me, no body can decrypt properly encrypted data by TrueCrypt. The other practice is erase your data securely when not needed. O&O SafeErase is professionally designed to do secure data erase.
O&O SafeErase 6 Professional has been highly admired for its irrecoverable secure data erase-ability. It is sure if data is deleted by SafeErase, it cannot be recovered. You can erase all data including system drive where operating system is installed. The current release is version 6 build 374.
– Files, folders and individual partitions
– Memory cards and USB data volumes
– Free hard disk space
– Entire computer, no boot medium necessary
– Internet and temporary program files
- Securely move files and folders
- Six methods to permanently delete sensitive data
- Complete integration into Windows Explorer
- Detailed reports as proof of deletion
- Speed optimization of deletion processes
- NEW: Analysis tool to search for unsafely deleted files
- NEW: Adapted deletion method for SSDs
- NEW: Enhanced report and activity management
- Read More here: http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oosafeerase
If you are looking for free alternative, you can use always trusted CClaner. Data deleted by CCleaner is also irrecoverable. You need to check the data deletion options for maximum security.
Our friend at Mostiwant shared it. I have found this O&O SafeErase quite useful, so thought to share it with you as I have done it previously here and here. The original promo page is given below. There you can find license key to copy or you can see the license in the following image.
Download O&O SafeErase 6 Professional (x86, x64) from official page and register it with the license.
During installation, enter data as shown in the following image: